Taipei protest highlights split over Taiwan's defense funding
Taipei, TaiwanSun May 24 2026
On a Saturday afternoon in Taipei, hundreds gathered in the heart of the city, waving flags and chanting slogans about national security. The protest wasn't just about money—it was about what kind of future Taiwan wants. The government had asked for $40 billion to upgrade defense, including weapons from the U. S. and locally made tech like drones. But the opposition, which holds more seats in parliament, approved only part of that request—just enough for U. S. arms. They argued the full plan was unclear and could lead to misuse of funds.
The protest was led by groups pushing for stronger independence and human rights. One speaker, Wang Hsing-huan, said that real safety comes from a strong defense. "Without it, Taiwan's freedom could be at risk, " he told the crowd. Meanwhile, the government is still pushing for the rest of the money, including a new air defense system called the T-Dome. Civil engineer Angela Yen, 32, summed up the mood: "We can't just hope China won't attack. We need to be ready. "
But not everyone agrees. The opposition parties say they support defense spending but won’t approve big budgets without clear rules. Cheng Li-wun, a leader from the biggest opposition group, spoke earlier in southern Taiwan. She emphasized that no one wants war but stressed that Taiwan shouldn’t waste money or force young people into military service. Just last month, she met China’s leader, Xi Jinping, to discuss better relations.
Taiwan’s government insists it won’t accept China’s claim that it owns the island. The debate isn’t just about dollars—it’s about trust, safety, and who should decide Taiwan’s future.
https://localnews.ai/article/taipei-protest-highlights-split-over-taiwans-defense-funding-bc147243
actions
flag content